AGI x AGF webinar series:
An intellectual exchange platform for AsiaGlobal Fellows globally to interact with the leadership of the Asia Global Institute and the institute's network of experts on important global policy issues. All are welcome.
Watch the replay here.
Panelists reviewed the responses to Covid-19 in their respective countries – Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina. They drew the following lessons:
• In most democratic countries, having a strong civil society is important as this gives citizens the opportunity to voice concerns and make governments accountable.
• The crisis has exposed the precarity of people’s livelihoods. The pandemic is an opportunity to rethink social and economic models and strengthen public-health systems.
The crisis has also put the spotlight on social and economic inequalities in a region that is one of the most unequal in the world.
• The pandemic underscores the need for making policies based on facts and evidence and not on imagined situations and conspiracy theories. Societies need to develop a deeper connection to truth and give more value to science.
• The crisis is sending a strong message about the need for greater collaboration in societies, across regions and globally.
• Technology will play an important role as a driver of greater equality and fairness, addressing such challenges as the unequal access to healthcare and medicines.